Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I proceed with adopting my girlfriend's son?

My girlfriend's ex boyfriend was an abuser, and they had a son together. My girlfriend does not want her ex to see her son, considering that he's dangerous. My girlfriend's ex harmed her daughter, who was 1 1/2 years old at the time. What I wanted to know was, if I could adopt my girlfriend's son, even though her ex was an abuser. Is that possible? Her ex has a long felony record which contains burglary, drugs, domestic violence, and illegal possession of firearms. Do I have a good case?How do I proceed with adopting my girlfriend's son?
No. Until the Father signs an agreement surrendering his his rights No one can adopt his child. Family Court will not allow a BF to adopt. You would have to be married. You know, make a commitment to this familyHow do I proceed with adopting my girlfriend's son?
He would need to either sign away his rights,or in this case more than likely,they would be taken away. Then you could adopt. Talk to a lawyer--ask how you should go about doing this the right way.
She would have to terminate his rights in court first. If he sees the boy or tries to see him even if she refuses, and/or he pays child support that might be difficult even if he's abused the child before. She should check the local laws or talk to the court about it. She could get his parental rights terminated relatively easily in most places if he hasn't attempted to see the child in over a year or so, and some places make it easier if the parent has been convicted of abusing the child too. He can probably contest the termination but he'd probably lose.





It looks like you're female though, and I can't tell where you're writing from? If you were male it'd be easy enough once the rights were terminated- you could just marry your girlfriend and adopt herchild. The rules on adopting your partners kid really vary a LOT by state though, so you'll have to look that up.
I'm pretty sure the only way that can happen is if you two get married . At least that's the case in Ontario, Canada .

No comments:

Post a Comment