Wednesday, August 18, 2010

In-laws invited themselves to stay in my house... what can I do?

My in-laws live 7 hours away from us, in the same state. My husband and I have a house project to change all our windows in our mobile home, and he told his dad we were going to do that soon. Then they suggested coming down to help him with the windows and staying in our place (they said that). The thing is, they never accepted me in the family, just because I am from a different country. But my husband and I have been happily married for 9 years now (no kids). We have had many major problems with them because they think they can meddle in our lives and tell us how to do things, and I cannot take that. They never call us, never send us an anniversary card, not even an email. My husband is the one who calls them once in a while. They don't talk to me. When they come here (only came once), they never made themselves useful. For ex: my mother-in-law didn't help me in the kitchen, or setting the table for dinner, etc. They want us to do everything for them just because they think they are entitled to. My husband was upset that I told him I cannot have them here this time because I'm going to nursing school, and I have no time and energy to be catering to their needs. I thought their help would be good, but thinking about the things I have to do for them (including sleeping on the floor to let them have our bed), cooking for all these people (we are short on money right now), and keeping them company for like 3 or 4 days would be too much for me. My husband doesn't understand that. What can I do about it? P.S.: they never stayed in our house. The only time they came to visit they stayed in a hotel overnight and went back home the next day. Thanks!
  • skin lesions
  • debt
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment